Why not a Faithful Fool?

There are many types of foolishness. In a metaphorical way, every act can be categorized as either physical or mental. This is about something non-physical: Faith / belief.

For the mind of a layman like me, spirituality seems to be a destination of solace where one tries to rely upon something within/beyond oneself. Mind/God. GOD seems to be exaggerated or overrated most of the times thru the myths and folklore, but mind is one that's always been turbulent, often leading to extremely disastrous / depressing thoughts. And that's when the exaggeration of God helps.

So, what/who is God ?
To me, God is a concept. Like infinity. A thought. A metaphor.
Back in college, my extremely_devoted-yet-always_practical friend,
  • when once I was lost in thoughts of abolishing my religion, caste, pride, etc. etc.,
  • when I argued with him that God doesn't exist,
  • when I fought with him against his beliefs,
  • when I even spoke a little demeaning of the structure of any religion,
asked me this question: "Do you believe in numbers ?"

     I was like, "Of course I do!"

     "What is the number 1?", asked he.

     I raised in front of him my right hand's index finger.

     "This is just a symbol. A representation." He wasn't satisfied.

     I made 2 lines, and tried to explain that each of them individually conveys the meaning of the number 1. I knew I couldn't, but nonetheless, made an attempt.

     "You're trying to give an exmaple. I didn't ask for one. Explain me a number." He was clever. He still is.

     I had to give in, and I finally said myself, "It's a concept. Whatever I say, becomes only a representation, and one has to feel it, to understand it."

     He said with an accomplishing smile, "That's exactly what God is."

That clever idiot made me think that whatever I uttered in the name of reality, were just rubbish. Empirical/radical thoughts might appear and try to suppress the so-called spiritual ones, but then the mind still stays oscillating, for it's never sure of what it's trying to know.

The mind always stays at war with the brain. The intellectual brain, with it's gigantic database, tries to apply every possible parameter giving a tough time to it's ultra-intellectual opponent, and tries to be the most realistic. But mind, this never satisfying psychological animal never shall take a loss. And the toughest job is to judge, for one can't categorize sides as good/evil, as both are one's own. Even if done, it's hard to choose a side. This pseudo-mind, I feel, is that which decides the righteousness of a person, as the judge is the one who reflects the whole case.

As said, God is a concept. Myth, folklore, idol worship, legends, tales, miracles, cures and all other such things seem to have been brought into one's mind, in order to strengthen onself rather than acting upon the ever-cunning reality.

But, how?
  1. Doesn't making one believe in a concept take him away from being practical?
  2. Doesn't it make him consciously blind?
  3. Doesn't it let him become dependent?
  4. Doesn't it grab him of his potential to face a difficulty with all his will & let something else possess himself?
I'd love to answer these with a NO. At least a partial NO for each question.
  1. Being cent-per-cent practical increases the probability of decreasing one's confidence, for assessment is only semi-optimism. Being realistic cannot exclude pessimism, for that is what assesses a risk and not the other.
  2. Consciousness is again highly over-rated and subjective. If everyone wishes to act only upon their consciousness and conscience, all that would remain is probably anarchy. A man needs another to tell him how he should act.
  3. Yes, it makes one dependent. So what? We all are. Dare you not call yourselves independent! Right from the food you eat to the cloth you wear to the place you live to the air you breathe, you're dependent. We all are. Independence can work on boundaries, but not within and within and within.
  4. It might seem to do so. But from another p.o.v, it might even supply some confidence. It's not about a half-empty glass. Not even about half-full. But just about filling the glass as much as possible.
Rationalists *including my fav. Dr. Kamal Haasan* might think that a man of faith might be a man of foolishness. Well, yes, nothing wrong in anyone saying so, I'd say ! After all, it's a democracy.

But. But. Isn't it nice to remain a fool?
Intellectual-yet-ignorant.
Assessing-yet-agnostic.
Doubtful-yet-faithful.
Discontent-yet-happy.

Am not sure if I am one. Not sure if I'd become one either.

Just in case you're wondering why am talking like a nutcase, the answer would be, The Man from Earth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tamilian's Tribute to an Apple

Belur & Halebidu - II

Kuru kuru kangalile...